Metro Bank may be a Bank, but there’s something that makes us different from other Banks: our people.
We believe that people come first, and that everyone deserves a great experience every step of the way – whether it’s face to face, online or on our app. We were rated #1 for our store and digital services in the latest CMA service quality survey.
Metro Bank first opened its doors in summer 2010, the first high street Bank to open in the UK for over 100 years. We reached 2 million customers in 2019. We started a revolution, a real game changer and we’re continuously innovating to create magic moments for our customers, in store and digitally.
Depending on the team, most of our roles offer flexible working and you will work remotely temporarily due to COVID-19.
About the role
We are looking for a Lead UX Designer to lead Online Banking. We want someone who is passionate about creating delightful experiences for our customers, being a systems thinker but designing for the moment. You will play a key role in championing our retail and commercial customers and develop and deliver an outstanding online banking offering to them. Your team currently consists of a UX and UI designer but might grow in the future. You will be leading and mentoring the UX designer and working very closely with a UI designer. The role requires close alignment with the mobile banking and other online teams to ensure consistency across all customer touchpoints.
So what would you be doing?...
• Taking ownership of an idea from the initial phase to the final product
• Practising of design thinking and being hands-on with user research, problem defining and leading cross functional workshops
• Prototyping new features and improving existing functionality through user journeys, information architecture, wireframes and high-fidelity mock-ups - collaborating with the UX and UI Leads to create a consistent cross-platform design system
• Taking accountability for design quality and cohesion across your projects
• Working closely with our product, tech and propositions teams designing and delivering outstanding feature improvements and advocating UX across your team and the wider business
• Liaising with other UX Leads to make sure consistency across products and platforms
• Championing best practices for products and services across the Bank’s digital platforms
You need to be this kind of person…
• Passionate about providing unparalleled levels of service and convenience for customers
• Prepared to stick at something – we get nervous if someone has jumped from job to job as we want people who are prepared to learn and grow
• Able to work and learn quickly in a fast paced, fun and dynamic environment
• Care about doing a great job and exceeding expectations with the quality of what you do
• True team player who sees things through end to end
• Creative thinker with highly analytical mindset
And... we are a bank so risk is a part of everything we do. We love people who take responsibility, do the right thing for customers, colleagues and Metro Bank and have the courage to call out any concerns.
We always support colleagues to develop their skills. But to be successful in this job you really do need to already be able to do most of these wonderful things...
• Understand the risks associated with your job and what that means for you, Metro Bank and all our stakeholders
• You will have a breadth of design knowledge and experience working as a Senior UX Designer who is looking to take a step up
• You need to have experience with using analytics software, such as google analytics, to be able to define relevant UX metrics for your area and measure them over time
• You must be comfortable engaging with stakeholders to formulate ideas, identify improvements and share learnings, as well as acting as the voice of the user in product decisions
• You need to have experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research, throughout the product development lifecycle
• In order to exceed in this role, you will have the ability to work on multiple complex platforms, including both legacy and new platforms
• It would be amazing if you have previous experience in online banking platforms and working with design systems
• Ideally, you will have previous experience leading, mentoring or coaching a team of Designers
Diverse teams really are the best teams. We know that candidates (especially women, research tells us) may be put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. We also know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, and while we can’t accommodate every flexible working request we are happy to be asked. So if you are excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren’t sure if you are 100% there yet… why not give it a whirl? Please note that sometimes we may close a job earlier for applications if we are inundated with amazing candidates. Good luck!
What makes Metro Bank unique? The answer’s simple. It’s our people. We put 100% into supporting our colleagues in reaching their full potential. And because each of our stores is deeply rooted in the community it serves, colleagues have a strong understanding of the needs and ambitions of the customers and businesses in their neighbourhood.
There's a big focus on investing in colleagues here. Whether it's through the mentoring programme, training courses at Metro Bank University or just managers taking the time to really understand the direction that people want to progress in – the opportunities are endless. We want colleagues to feel nurtured and supported.
We want colleagues to bring their whole personality to work – not leave their best bits at the door. Our store and contact centre colleagues are driven by providing outstanding service, not sales targets. What we do have are outstanding career opportunities and a flexible, diverse and vibrant environment. We take what we do seriously, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We want Metro Bank to be an amazing place to work because that attracts the best people, which means happy customers and colleagues.
Our success is down to our colleagues and we want everyone to be able to share in that success. All our colleagues receive share options, meaning everyone can personally benefit from the bank’s growth and achievements -from the front line colleagues in store to backroom colleagues keeping things running smoothly.
We think everyone should feel comfortable and be the very best they can, so we have colleague-led groups there to help make that happen, from Women on Work to support our female colleagues, to M Pride, our inclusive-LGBT network, set-up to enable our colleagues to celebrate and promote inclusion.
We’ve built a different kind of high street bank. A bank with stores that are open when it suits you, 7 days a week. A bank where you can walk in without an appointment and walk out with a working account, debit card and all. A bank that tells you exactly what you’re getting, in language that actually makes sense. A bank that puts you first.
Metro Bank first opened its doors in the summer of 2010, the first high street bank to open in the UK in over 100 years.
Every store is open 7 days a week, and from 8am–8pm on weekdays. No need to book an appointment, just walk in at a time that is right for you.
We keep our products simple and we do the same for our rates and charges, so you’ll always know exactly what you’re getting. No more nasty surprises in the small print.
Kids matter at Metro Bank. Every year we help thousands of children take their first steps with money. We encourage them to save and count their coins using our Magic Money Machines and learn about budgeting with our financial education programme.