As a Risk Specialist, you will join a high-performing team that enables safer payments for our users and helps Stripe manage payments liabilities intelligently. You will become an expert in a Risk domain such as merchant fraud, credit risk, account takeovers, or Stripe’s product offerings, and use that expert to guide decisions, policies, and product improvements to mitigate risk to Stripe. The stakes are high, and you will be up against ever-changing and always-improving opponents. You will face some of the most complex and dynamic problems at the company, and the nature of your work will evolve rapidly as Internet payments fraud continues to become more sophisticated.
- Monitor accounts and transactions to identify and predict potential risks, such as fraud or takeovers, and serve as an escalation point for difficult or edge-case reviews from other team members
- Design and scale risk processes to cover an increasingly large and complex landscape of merchant risks given our rapidly expanding user base.
- Deliver ideas and insights as you collaborate with partner teams, such as engineering or machine learning, to build systems and tools that empower specialists, operate efficiently, and provide good user experiences for Stripe’s merchants
- Work with Stripe users to help them eliminate fraud or understand Risk team actions
- Develop experiments with our policies or tools to challenge the payments industry status quo as we help enable innovative businesses to flourish online.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is curious and eager to build expertise: if something seems off, you want to figure out what’s going on, and you naturally absorb and retain information down to the smallest details
- Is decisive, yet open to learning: you will make many critical choices every day, and you will be wrong some of the time.
- Believes in knowing and using the numbers behind a problem, and preferably has familiarity with the basics of statistical analysis and experience with quantitative tools such as Excel, SQL, Python, R, Stata, or data visualization tools
- Communicates with ease, especially when conveying complex ideas
- Has 3-5 years of experience working in fast-paced and rapidly changing start-up environments
- Preferably has experience with payments, risk, or trust & safety
Include these in your application:
- Your resume.
- Your answer to the following: given free rein, what are one or two improvements you would have made to the processes at a company or organization where you have worked? How would you assess if the change(s) was (were) successful?