We’re looking for a creative, pro-active, adaptable and organised person to take responsibility for consistent, high quality training and development at Monzo.
Monzo is an exciting combination of bank and tech start-up, started from scratch in February 2015 to build a bank you’d be proud to call your own. Over the last year, we’ve grown the team from 50 to more than 300, gained a UK banking licence, reached over half a million lovely customers and have begun to roll out our main product - current accounts!
We’d love you to lay the foundations for how Monzo can deliver personal, ambitious training that will be scalable once we’re thousands of people globally. We care deeply about building a supportive and inclusive culture in which everyone can succeed and grow both personally and professionally.
We’ve grown so quickly, focussed on hiring talented, ambitious people who continuously look for growth opportunities and strive to challenge themselves. As our learning and development lead, you’ll be responsible for organising training and for helping individuals and their managers to identify great learning opportunities both within work and through outside courses. Success in this role would mean highly engaged people continually learning and understanding what ‘levelling up’ means to them, as well as being supported to get there.
You’ll be joining our small but powerful People team, you’ll work across the whole company to deliver training programmes and determine what progression at Monzo looks like. The training at Monzo is currently made up of online self-taught sessions; role-specific training on financial crime or complaints; knowledge-sharing sessions around feedback, interviewing and active listening; and each person has a budget for their own professional development. We’ve also created “Managers at Monzo”, a project aiming to provide support and guidance that equips our managers to excel.
Challenges you’ll help us solve:
- How should we approach Learning and Development? Is it different for people working in customer operations, finance and engineering roles?
- What are our training and development needs as a company?
- How can we build career progression frameworks that are concrete enough to be useful, but broad enough to not constrain people’s aspirations?
- How can we best empower our managers to develop their teams?
- How can we ensure that new joiners across the company are inducted to Monzo and their roles in a consistent yet tailored way?
- What training or coaching would help our executive team become even more exceptional?
- What tools should we use to support with training?
- What is the most effective way for knowledge experts to deliver training that benefits learners?
You’ll also be responsible for instilling a healthy culture of everyday learning and development across the company.
You should apply if:
- You have some experience in learning design, and know how to apply that in a growing tech company
- You have run training sessions before, and ideally have a training qualification
- You take great satisfaction in developing people and believe it’s crucial to making a business successful
- You’re a great communicator and can coach others to share their knowledge in a compelling, engaging way
- You’re hands-on and self-motivated, happy to tackle any task however big or small
- What we’re doing at Monzo excites you!