A Better company
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage platform from the ground up. We’ve already funded $1 billion in loans, and we’re just getting started. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
- Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
- The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.
A Better opportunity
Better is hiring a Mortgage Quality Control Director to oversee and expand our audit/quality control function. You will work cross collaboratively with both the Mortgage Operations and Legal and Compliance teams to ensure our origination processes comply with state, federal, and investor regulations.
Responsibilities will include:
- Expand and implement procedures for audit/quality control processes, including mortgage origination, pre and post close review, and servicing.
- Perform QC audits of all loan types according to sampling percentages set internally or by individual investors.
- Serve as liaison between Better and external vendors providing mortgage origination/servicing reviews.
- Track, monitor and report on customer complaints.
- Perform internal investigations as needed.
- Assist the General Counsel and CCO with special projects as needed.
Attributes we value
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, math or statistics. JD a plus.
- Underwriting experience in financial industry, with 2 years of quality control and/or audit experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- In-depth knowledge of mortgage underwriting guidelines or demonstrated mastery of an equally complex regulatory framework.
- Capable of navigating multiple lending and audit platforms.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Works with integrity, making sure to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Exhibits strong attention to detail, project planning, and multi-tasking skills.