We’re on the lookout for seasoned empathetic design-thinkers to help us deliver the best banking experience possible. The team is growing fast with no sign of slowing down, so we're hiring for multiple roles.
We’re building a bank for and with our users. A product that’s fair, transparent and a pleasure to use. As we pave the way for the future of banking, we need a deeper understanding the problems we want to solve and how we solve them. That’s where you come in.
You’ll be working on a product that is a part of day to day life for more than a million people already, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances. We don't expect you to line-manage User Researchers but you'll be an ally and mentor to others across the company – User Researchers, Product Designers, Product Managers and Engineers – who will learn from your direction and expertise.
This post Samantha wrote a while back gives a good idea of some of the research initiatives that are happening at Monzo. We work closely with Product Managers and Product Designers to generate insight to fuel ideas and then evaluate design solutions.
We’re quick to adopt better tools and processes, so you’ll be more than welcome to contribute all the good practices you’ve used before.
As part of your role, you'll:
- Work closely with Product Managers, Product Designers, Engineers and other User Researchers to generate hypotheses and plans for high-impact research that helps us better understand our existing and potential customers and how to create a better product that solves their problems and meets their needs.
- Lead the research for your squads, suggesting the best approach and methods to use so we’re capturing the right insights that help us grow and develop our product in our mission to Make Money Work For Everyone.
- Plan and ran qualitative studies, including field observations and interviews, remote and in-person usability studies for existing and future products.
- Mentor and train Product Managers and Product Designers to run their own lightweight "disposable" research, freeing you up to do the high-impact work.
- Communicate research findings to inform business decisions through the best possible means ranging from presentations, workshops, reports or whatever mechanism gets the insights into our decision-making.
- Collaborate closely with our analytics team to make sure our qualitative insights are also enhanced by robust quantitative analysis whenever possible.
You should apply if:
- You’ve got lots of hands-on experience with exploratory and evaluative qualitative research methods, appreciating their limitations and when to apply them appropriately.
- You've worked in a multidisciplinary team environment before, where you've lead the research and made demonstrable impact on the direction of the product or service.
- You can run user testing with your eyes closed, regardless of the setting. You should be comfortable in a lab as well as stopping people in the street for quick feedback or setting up remote tests.
- You're happy user testing on mobile. We’re a mobile-only bank, so if you’ve got experience with both iOS and Android we’ll love you even more.
- You appreciate robust research study design, but can also consider practical constraints and business goals – you understand what 'just enough research' means.
- You’re a strong communicator and facilitator. You’re able to tell a story so your audience will want to listen to and zoom into detail when needed to help solutions come to life.
- You value collaboration and are at your best when you’re part of a team.
- You are flexible in your approach and embrace a challenge; you might need to come up with new ways of answering research questions quickly and communicating the results in a memorable, impactful way.
- You’re familiar with quantitative research and understand metrics.
Nice to have
- You have a solid grounding in quantitative research methods and know how to involve Data Scientists to get to the core of a problem.